As it bids farewell to the beautiful RS7, the Audi sportscar experience is excited to welcome a new lodger to its spectacular display inside Turn 1 of its home track, Sonoma Raceway. Read on to discover more about the all-conquering RS6 World Challenge.
In 2003, Champion Racing—a stalwart of Audi racing success in the US—debuted the RS6 in the SCCA Speed World Challenge GT Series. Tin top specialists Randy Pobst and Michael Galati, the latter of which had already claimed two World Challenge titles behind the wheel of an S4, were chosen to pilot the Quattro rockets.
Using its all-wheel-drive traction to great effect on the standing start, Pobst managed to catapult into the lead and grab a podium first time out at the storied Sebring International Raceway. And with consistent finishes, including two wins near the end of the season, “RFP” managed to secure the Drivers’ Championship. Champion, meanwhile, carried off the Manufacturers’ title for Audi.
2004 brought even more success as the ultra-competitive series welcomed a host of new manufacturer teams, including Cadillac, Porsche, and Dodge Viper. Despite sharing four more wins, a second drivers’ title eluded Randy and Michael, but they did still secure a second Manufacturers’ Championship for Champion and Audi.
Audi RS6 World Challenge in Detail
- Audi RS 6 quattro sedan body shell, fully seam welded, and reinforced.
- Full alloy roll cage with integrated suspension pickup reinforcements.
- Forged Alloy Wheels 18 x 9.5 inches (Champion Motorsports).
- Fuel system, 100 Liters capacity (Champion Racing).
- Standard RS 6 aluminum fenders and front hood.
- Carbon fiber rear deck lid with RS 6 mounted rear spoiler.
Engine and drivetrain:
- 475 horsepower RS 6 4.2 liter, Bi-Turbo Cosworth Technologies-prepared V8 engine.
- 3 plate Tilton clutch package, mounted to a Champion Racing Specification single mass flywheel.
- 6-speed Audi quattro transaxle, with 40:60 torque split front to rear.
Suspension and brakes:
- Ohlins 5 way adjustable dampers.
- Eibach competition coil springs.
- RS 6 standard braking system, with full floating cast iron rotors.
- Adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars.
Sign up for Email Alerts
Enter your email address to be kept up-to-date on news and events from Sears Point Performance Driving.